Elite Fitness Education
The purpose of an appeals procedure is to ensure that every learner who is unhappy with the outcome of an assessment decision has the right to appeal against the decision that has been made.
The appeals procedure applies to any learner following adult learning/Secondary school curriculum/Further Education/NVQ & train to gain learning programme/s. The appeal procedure to be followed comprises of 4 stages.
If a learner feels that an assessment decision is unfair in any way the appeal should be addressed to the centre’s Internal Verifier who will attempt to resolve the problem internally. If the learner remains unsatisfied then stage 2 of the appeals procedure should be followed
A formal appeal must be submitted in writing to Active IQ. The learner must complete the Learner Appeals Application Form giving the following details:
- Name and contact details (address and telephone numbers)
- Date appeal first reported to centre grounds for appeal
- Actual details including dates, what was assessed and what action has been taken so far
The form should be sent, together with all the written documentation from the assessment. Video evidence will significantly strengthen the appeal.
Within 5 working days of receipt of the written appeal, the Lead Verifier must acknowledge receipt of the appeal by either:
- Producing a written solution to the learner, or
- Producing a holding reply and a final reply within an additional 5 working days
In the event that the learner is unhappy with the response from the Lead Verifier, the appeal will move to stage 3.
All the written documentation regarding the appeal will be sent to the Director of Active IQ and must be sent within 5 working days from the Lead Verifiers decision.
The Director must acknowledge receipt of the documents within 5 working days by offering a formal hearing conducting by the appeals panel which is made up of:-
- Director of Active IQ
- Lead Verifier of Active IQ
- An independent member
The independent member must:
- Be totally independent of Active IQ
- Have not been in the past 7 years, a member of Active IQ’s board or committee or an employee or examiner of Active IQ
The learner will receive a written outcome within 10 working days of the hearing.
In the event that the learner is unhappy with the response from the Panel, the appeal will move to stage 4.
All the evidence and the written appeal will be referred to an Independent Reviewer within 5 working days of receipt of the Panel’s decision.
The Independent Reviewer must acknowledge receipt of the appeal by responding within 5 working days. Their decision will be final.
The Independent Reviewer must meet the following criteria:
- They are totally independent of Active IQ and have no links with it
- They have not been, at any time in the past 7 years, a member of Active IQ’s board or committees or an employee of or examiner for Active IQ
A nominal fee of £50 will be charged for handling appeals which progress beyond stage 1 of the procedure; but will be waived if the appeal is upheld.
In the case of group appeals, the fee per learner will be reduced, depending on the number of learners; and if the appeal is upheld, the fee waived. Where such appeals are partially upheld, the fee will be proportionately waived.