Elite Fitness Education – Equal Opportunity Policy
Statement of Policy
The aim of this policy is to communicate the commitment of the Board of Directors, senior management team and training team to the promotion of equality of opportunity in Elite Fitness Education.
It is our policy to provide equality in employment and training to all,
- Gender, including gender reassignment
- Marital or civil partnership status
- Having or not having dependants
- Religious belief or political opinion
- Race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origins, being an Irish Traveller)
- Sexual orientation
We are opposed to all forms of lawful and unfair discrimination. All job applicants, employees and others who work for us will be treated fairly and will not be discriminated against on any of the above grounds.
Decisions about recruitment and selection, promotion, training or any other benefit will be made objectively and without unlawful discrimination.
We recognise that the provision of equal opportunities in the workplace is not only good management practice, it also makes sound business sense.
Our equal opportunities policy will help all those who work for us to develop their full potential and the talents and resources of the workplace will be utilised fully to maximise the efficiency of the organisation.
To whom does the policy apply? (Scope)
The equal opportunity policy applies to all of the following:
Job applicants and potential applicants
Current and past employees
Tutors and Trainers
Qualified instructors gaining continuing professional development
Candidates on training courses
We are committed to:
- Promoting equality of opportunity for all persons
- Promoting a good and harmonious working environment in which all persons are treated with respect.
- Preventing occurrences of unlawful direct discrimination, indirect discrimination, harassment and victimisation.
- Fulfilling all our legal obligations under the equality legislation and associated codes of practice.
- Complying with our own equal opportunities policy and associated policies
- Taking lawful affirmative or positive action, where appropriate
- Regarding all breaches of equal opportunities policy as misconduct which could lead to disciplinary proceedings.
This policy is fully supported by senior management and has been agreed with Active IQ the awarding body for the qualifications of which Elite Fitness Education is an approved centre.
The Chairperson has specific responsibility for the effective implementation of this policy. Each director, mentor, internal verifier and the training convener, also has responsibilities and we expect all our employees to abide by the policy and help create the equality environment which is its objective.
In order to implement this policy we shall:
- Communicate the policy to employees, job applicants, candidates, instructors, volunteers and any other external person undertaking work on courses or competitions.
- Incorporate specific and appropriate duties in respect of implementing the equal opportunities policy into job descriptions and work objectives of all staff.
- Provide equality training and guidance as appropriate, including training on induction on fitness courses and for those involved in staff management.
- Ensure that those who are involved in assessing candidates for recruitment, promotion or competency will be trained in non-discriminatory selection techniques.
- Incorporate equal opportunities notices into the monthly update bulletin sheet, and display on any advertisement or flyer that Elite Fitness Education is an equal opportunity organisation.
- Obtain commitments from the management of course venues that they too will comply with the policy in their dealings with our organisation and our workforce and course candidates.
- Ensure that adequate resources are made available to fulfil the objectives of the policy.
Monitoring and review
We will establish appropriate information and monitoring systems to assist the effective implementation of our equal opportunity policy.
The effectiveness of our equal opportunities policy will be reviewed regularly.
Each fitness instructor course will be monitored and if under-representation of a particular group or groups is identified, we shall develop an action plan to address the imbalance.
Employees, volunteers or training staff or course candidate who believes that they have suffered any form of discrimination, harassment or victimisation are entitled to raise the matter through the agreed procedures – the appeals procedure. A copy of the appeals procedure is available on the Elite Fitness Education’s website – www.elitefitnesseducation.co.uk
In addition to our internal procedures, employees and volunteers have the right to pursue complaints of discrimination to an industrial tribunal or the Fair Employment Tribunal under the following anti-discrimination legislation:
- Sex Discrimination Act1975, as amended
- Disability Discrimination Act 1995, as amended.
- Race Relations Amended Act 2000, as amended
- Employment Equality (Sexual Orientation) Regulations 2003
- Employment Equality (Age) Regulations 2006
- Equal Pay Act 1970, as amended
However employees or volunteers wishing to make a complaint to a tribunal will normally be required to raise their complaint under our internal grievance procedures first.
To ensure that the Equal Opportunity Policy is effective on training courses.
The Team will make provision on such courses for those whose literacy skills and/or physical abilities place them in a special need category.
They will have equal access to assessment and be given appropriate support by the training team involved in the course delivery.
The training team will become aware of a candidate’s need through the application form, the EO monitoring form and by the work products/assignments given on the first day.
Frequency of tutorials will be decided as necessary and negotiated by the tutor and the candidate.
Arrangements conducive to the candidate’s requirements for a fair
assessment of knowledge will be made e.g. oral questioning, a scribe or interpreter (for those with hearing impairment).
Applications and Selection
All applicants will be required to complete an application form.
Speculative applications will not be accepted by the training team.
Prospective candidates will be asked to state if they require support due to any disability they may have.
Acceptance to any course of training will be recorded. Application forms with replies will be stored.
A monitoring system will be established to effectively implement our equal opportunity policy. Monitoring forms will be completed by all candidates and given to the Internal Verifier anonymously and confidentiality will not be compromised. These are correlated and the results kept in the course file.
If monitoring reveals that equality of opportunity is not afforded to members of a particular community, appropriate affirmative measures will be taken. The Internal Verifiers and the Convener of the Training Committee have the responsibility to implement these measures.
All candidates’ portfolios will be stored safely for audit purposes, and made available for collection by the candidate on delivery of certificates.
In Service Training
Selection for course staff training will be based on qualifications specific to physical activity with a proven knowledge base in human anatomy.
Instructing experience should be wide and at least 2 years.
A portfolio of in service training should be presented to the training committee.
Selection to the training team will be based solely on competence to deliver the knowledge base of the appropriate course.
Qualified training staff will be allocated employment on courses based on their professional qualifications. Opportunities to plan and extend their professional development will be offered.
Monitoring and mentoring of all training staff will be undertaken by the Internal Verifier.
Every effort will be made to ensure that employees who make complaints will not be victimised. Any complaint of victimisation will be dealt with seriously, promptly and confidentially. Victimisation will result in disciplinary action and may warrant dismissal.
The policy will be updated every 3 years or as demanded by events.