The aim of this qualification is to train learners to a professionally competent level, enabling them to prescribe, plan and deliver safe and effective exercise programmes within a gym or health club environment.
The Active IQ Certificate in Fitness Instructing (GYM) is at level 2 on the Qualifications and Credit Framework. It also provides access onto the Register of Exercise Professionals (REPs) at level 2.
- Some experience of gym-based exercises, including free weights, is highly recommended.
- The course requires physical exertion and individual participation is essential; therefore, a degree of physical fitness is necessary.
- There is also an element of communication (discussing, presenting, reading and writing) involved and learners should have basic skills in communication pitched at level 2.
This qualification comprises 6 mandatory units (24 Credits).
> Anatomy and physiology for exercise
H/600/9013 (6 Credits)
> Know how to support clients who take part in exercise and physical activity
M/600/9015 (2 Credits)
> Health, safety and welfare in a fitness environment
T/600/9016 (2 Credits)
> Principles of exercise, fitness and health
A/600/9017 (4 Credits)
> Preparing for gym-based exercise
F/600/9018 (4 Credits)
> Instructing gym-based exercise
A/600/9020 (6 Credits)
Coursework, Multiple Choice Examination, Portfolio of Evidence
- This qualification provides progression to Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Instructing Exercise and Fitness, for learners who wish to develop and demonstrate occupational competence in gym instruction.
- Alternatively, it provides progression to Level 3 qualifications in Personal Training for learners who wish to further their knowledge and skills and become personal trainers.
- Learners may also progress on to the Level 3 Diploma in Sports Massage Therapy, where they will be provided with the knowledge and skills to practice sports massage alongside gym instructing in the health club environment.
- Learners may also broaden their knowledge and skills by progressing to Level 2 qualifications in Instructing Circuits, Exercise to Music and Aqua.